Monitor Audio Gold 100 Standmount Speaker Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by Phil Hinton, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,874
    2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,134
      Its been 20 years or so since I studied audio engineering, but if my memory serves me well the larger radiating area of the tweeter will reduce the size of the dispersion pattern (the two are inversely proportional), making the sweet spot narrow?

Some manufacturers like to put waveguides in front of their tweeters (e.g. KEF) to help, so I can't help feeling this design from Monitor Audio with a pretty large, unconventional tweeter will need very careful placement.

3. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +423
      Nice Review, but you forgot to emphasize that most of the new Gold series have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, (Rather than the usual 6 or 8 ohms) which will cause problems for a lot of amplifiers when pushed, as unless you really spend the money the power supplies in a lot of amplifiers fall short of what is needed.

Bill

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,134
      I've always considered the impedance ratings of speakers to be rather meaningless, since its a number they measure at 1Khz. A poorly designed speaker may be 8Ohms at 1Khz, but have an impedance that fluctuates all over the place above and below that frequency... maybe down to 2Ohms or less.

It might say 4 Ohms, but it could be a much easier load on your amplifier than a speaker that's rated at 8 Ohms in the spec sheet.

5. Goodmane

Goodmane

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +139
      I'm still happy with the simple or classic looks of my Monitor Audio Silver 6 package. At the time, the Golds were arguably even nicer - if a little showier- but with the benefit a ribbon tweeter.

Some aspects of the new Gold range are aesthetically less pleasing to me. I don't really like the prominent logo at the bottom, and I strongly dislike the tweeter design with it's silver plate and seemingly random drill holes. Whatever it sounds like, I think I would have to keep the grilles on. That said, with the grilles on, I like the look of the new Gold 200s.

6. Rockets

Rockets

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +44
      These do sound like quite a good option for the price bracket they slot into.

Nice to hear the bungs for the ports actually work well in these models - often it's a case of yes it improves bass problems but at the detriment of the overall sound.

Here is the thing though would it not of been a better idea to restrict the bass port design from the outset? They are small(ish) stand mount speakers whose more likely position is going to be closer to the wall.

7. handyroberts

handyroberts
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Hi Ed, Great review as always. I know you said you are holding off giving out a best-in-class badge until you have heard all contenders in the category. Assuming you have the Kef R3 on your list, would be interesting to know how they compare. Having recently upgraded to an SN2 your reviews using this amp are always a bonus as I had assumed MA speakers were a no-go based on past comments on forums re how they play with Naim gear. Thanks again.